Sunday, November 25, 2007

Amazing Grace - The movie!



Amazing Grace is the story of William Wilburforce. He was a member of the British Parliament during the late 1700's and early 1800's. He was instrumental in bringing the end of slavery to the British empire. His friend, former preacher,and mentor was John Newton. John Newton was a former slave trader. He repented of this life and became a preacher. He later wrote many great hymns the greatest being Amazing Grace. This movie spans about 20 years in the life of Wilburforce and his fight to end slavery in Britain.

I loved the movie. It was very moving and spiritual. There were many parts of the movie that moved me very much. Here are several.

Wilburforce talking with his butler in the garden:

Butler: "You've found God, sir?"
Wilbur: "I think he found me!"
Butler: "It is a sad fate for a man to die too well known to everybody else and still unknown to himself. Francis Bacon. I don't just dust your books, sir."

Wilburforce talking with John Newton:

Newton: "So what do you want with your old preacher?"
Wilbur: "I'm here to seek your advice."
Newton: "When you were a child you used to ask God for advice."
Wilbur: "Then I grew up and grew foolish."
Newton: "And now?"
Wilbur: "Now, slowly, my faith is returning."
Newton: "How slowly?"
Wilbur: "No bolts of lighting"
Newton: "God sometimes does his work with gentle drizzle, not storms. drip, drip,
drip."

Wibur talking with Newton after he has lost his sight and is writing his memoirs:

Wilbur: "They only told me your sight was fading."
Newton: "Well, now its faded altogether. I never did things by halves. God decided
I'd seen enough."

further in the conversation:

Newton: "Although my memory is fading, I remember two things very clearly. I'm a
great sinner and Christ is a great Savior."

I know this is just a movie and these are just lines written by a writer somewhere but they are so true. We all are sinners and Christ is a GREAT Savior. It is so nice to see this truth in a movie. I have never had a bolt of lighting jolt me into salvation but over the years God has continued to "drip, drip, drip" on me and opened my eyes to my sins and His great plan for my salvation. I never quite heard it put in a way that I could relate too until this line in this movie. I've always known about Jesus but until my 30's I never really gave religion much thought. Now I think of it daily. I pray that many will see this movie and be as moved as I was and maybe it will help someone to see "the light".

No comments: